Hero City Zone (20-27)
|Exploration Badges:||Minotaur, Nature Lover, Whitecap, Last Line of Defense, The Old Me, Bridge Holder, Overtime Worker, Spanky's Competitor, Thrill Seeker|
|Plaques:||Authority I, Historian I, Ghost Hunter I, Researcher I, II|
|Day Jobs:||Architect, Law Enforcer, Commuter, Shop Keeper, Caregiver, Banker, Day Trader, Duelist, Monitor Duty|
|Enemies:||Banished Pantheon, Circle of Thorns, Devouring Earth, Freakshow, Tsoo, Warriors|
|Connecting Zones:||Dark Astoria, Founders' Falls, Peregrine Island, Pocket D, Skyway City, Striga Isle, Underground Imperial|
|Transits:||Paragon City Monorail|
|Talos Island at VidiotMaps.com|
(Copied from the City of Heroes official Web site )
There were giants in those days…
He called himself Talos (pronounced "TAY-los"), though the newspapers preferred the more descriptive, “Terrific Titan.” Standing well over 300 feet tall, Talos was the epitome of titanic heroism as he battled to defend Paragon City. Throughout the 50’s and 60’s, he steadfastly rose to the challenge of combating giant monstrosities. He became the city’s newest marvel and champion. Yet deep mystery surrounded his true identity. Even more astonishing was his ability to vanish after battle. A profoundly enigmatic hero, journalists, historians and scholars had only his cryptic utterances for clues to his origin: “For thousands of years, I have been a protector of humanity.” The only certainty about Talos was his almost mystical connection to a young boy named Michael McVey. Whenever the youngster was imperiled, Talos would appear to save the day.
In the last climatic battle against his arch foe, the Chimera, Talos and the serpentine beast clashed beneath the waters of the bay. A mighty battle ensued, shaking Paragon City to its foundations, tearing a giant rift in the ocean floor from which earth and lava rose to form an island. Known today as Talos Island, it is said that both Talos and the Chimera are still locked in mortal combat within its stony embrace. Decades later, Talos’ heroism had faded out of memory and into urban legend. Despite countless articles, photographs, and movie clips featuring the heroic exploits of the “Terrific Titan,” most citizens have now relegated Talos to the dusty bins of folklore.
During the 1980’s, with dollar signs in their eyes, developers seized the financial opportunity of an island so close to Paragon City. Thus began the Talos Island land boom. Within a matter of months, the once barren island was abuzz with construction sites. As a publicity stunt, the real estate moguls even agreed to name the island after the city’s mythic giant. An anonymous benefactor donated the huge statue, which now stands several hundred yards from the island.
Today, Talos Island is home to many hi-tech and venture capital firms and is still considered prime real estate. Oddly enough, during the Rikti War, the aliens avoided attacking that area. Consequently, many superstitions have sprung up about the island, including the belief that Talos’ statue gives the place good luck. This has only driven the real estate prices higher.
For entertainment, the island features a quaint boardwalk named for Michael “Spanky” Rabinowitz, an early twentieth century mayor of Paragon City. “Spanky,” as he was known, held the entire city’s political machine in a tight fist for nearly thirty years. His backroom dealings controlled and decided the fates of political candidates and businessmen alike for a generation. Despite his administration’s sometimes heavy-handed tactics and obvious corruption, Paragon City actually thrived under his leadership. Today, while the memory of Talos has become obscured by myth, “Spanky” Rabinowitz has been elevated to “lovable” rogue in the eyes of the public.
Currently, the once peaceful Talos Island is a battleground between two rival gangs. The Warriors, who claim the island as their own private playground, have found themselves embroiled in a bloody turf war with a recently arrived gang known as the Tsoo. What’s at stake is more than real estate, as the Warriors have been the controlling force behind the Import of a large number of minor mystical relics and the Tsoo, a gang with arcane leanings, would very much like a major piece of the action. Out of this dangerously escalating conflict comes a major threat to not only Talos Island but Paragon City as a whole.
Heroes are needed desperately to stem this rising tide of blood and destruction. Talos is watching. Can you measure up?
Task Force Contacts
Police Band Contacts
- Agent McClane (2005 Winter Event only, contact is no longer available)
- Andrea Mitchell
- Andrew Fiore
- Barry Gosford
- Cain Royce
- Claire Childress
- Eliza Thorpe
- Field Agent Keith Nance
- Hinckley Rasmussen
- Jim Bell
- Joesef Keller
- John Strobel
- Lt. Col. Hugh McDougal
- Lt. Manuel Ruiz
- Marvin Weintraub
- Miriam Bloechl
- Oliver Haak
- Piper Irving
- Polly Cooper
- Roy Cooling
- Special Agent Jenni Adair
- Tyler French
- Vic Garland
- At random times, the Ghost Ship will cross the zone, along one of three paths. Wherever it crosses land, it will spawn ghosts. Defeating 50 of these ghosts (all level 25) earns a hero the Ectoplasmic Badge.
- Adamastor, a giant monster, can be summoned in this zone in the southeast corner where there is a non-functional gate which used to connect to Dark Astoria.
- The Argo Highway (Orange - Level 20-24) (Music), which stretches from the south west corner, almost to the south east corner. Freakshow and Warriors are common to this area. Banished Pantheon also appear along the eastern most stretch of the highway.
- Circe Island (Orange - Level 23-25) (Music) is middle group of three island groups north of the main island. The Circle of Thorns use it to commit their dark rituals.
- Eleusis (Red - Level 25-27) (Music) is along the eastern War Wall, just north the Dark Astoria gate. Devouring Earth roam here.
- Helen Point (Yellow - Level 20-22) (Music) is a warehousing district north of the Skyway City gate. It is under control of the Tsoo.
- Ithaca Island (Yellow - Level 20-22) (Music) is the southeastern group of islands which are north of the main island. Circle of Thorns can be found roaming here.
- The northeast corner of the main island is New Corinth (Orange - Level 21-26) (Music). The BiotechniX building (mutation store) can be found here, as well as the Arena. Warriors (levels 21-22) and Tsoo (levels 21-26) are often seen fighting in this area.
- New Sparta (Red - Level 21-27) (Music) is the northwestern corner of the main island. The Future Dynamics (natural store) and the Deimos Innovations (science store) buildings are in this area. The entrance to the old Paragon Dance Club used to be in this area, but has been closed with the opening of Pocket D. Tsoo control this area.
- New Thebes (Yellow - Level 20-24) (Music) is the south west area of the main island. Freakshow, Tsoo and Warriors constantly battle for control of this area. You can find the Freedom Corp Special Forces office (training store) and the medium, Tabitha Fabish (magic store) here. Cryptic Studios has two offices in this area, one of which actually leads to Pocket D.
- New Troy (Orange - Level 22-27) (Music) encompasses the south east portion of the main island. The Paragon City Monorail station is here, with Citadel (task force contact) and Luminary (hero trainer) standing next to it. This area also contains the Base Portal, the Cygnus Medical Center (Hospital) and Exarch Industries (technology store).
- The area around the hospital is the Phoenix Medical Center. (Music)
- Scylla Island (Red - Level 25-27) (Music) is the northern most group of islands off the northern coast of the Talos Island. The Circle of Thorns and the Devouring Earth share this area, appearently without conflict.
- The Serpent's Teeth (Red - Level 25-27) (Music) is a rocky area north of Helen Point, and contains many Devouring Earth.
While wrestling with the Chimera in the waters of the bay, Talos tore a rift in the ocean floor. Although the hero never rose from the waters, the island that formed was named in his honor.
The cargo ship Alba Varden tends to be a hotbed of criminal activity.
| Last Line of Defense|
During the Second Rikti War, this hill was used by heroes as a gathering point to fight off the Rikti in Talos. Despite the large Rikti numbers, the heroes managed to repel them time after time from this very spot, allowing the rest of Talos Island's citizens to get to safety.
| The Old Me|
This area is where the real Ajax was buried, after being killed by the thug Ralph Valetti, who stole his identity as well as his powers. After the revelation was made, officials rushed to recover Ajax's body, which is now preserved in an unknown area within the city.
| Bridge Holder|
The hero known as 'The Commuter' recently thwarted an attempt by the 5th Column to blow up this bridge. Some people in Paragon think the plot to destroy the bridge was ridiculous, but The Commuter insists that, 'this bridge means the world to all those who drive in and out of Talos everyday.'
| Overtime Worker|
After Dark Astoria was taken over by the Banished Pantheon, the construction workers of Paragon were ordered to demolish the road leading into the cursed city. The construction workers put in major overtime work to make it happen, and by week's end the road was gone, symbolizing that the city had left Astoria to the works of the Banished Pantheon.
| Spanky's Competitor|
This boardwalk was started some time ago by Robert Cooling, who was seeking to create an alternative to Spanky's Boardwalk on the other end of Talos, mainly because he hated the name 'Spanky's Boardwalk'. He was mentioned in the news for some time before he mysteriously 'disappeared.' The PPD closed the case after years of research when no sign of Robert Cooling could be found.
| Thrill Seeker|
You're always looking for new forms of entertainment, and it's said that the Mission Architect technology is entertainment in its purest form.
| Nature Lover|
- One Authority Badge monument
- Two Researcher Badge monuments
- One Historian Badge monument
- One Ghost Hunter Badge monument
Your study of the Mission Architect system has earned you the Architect Day Job. Logging out in the Mission Architect will earn you 2 bonus Mission Architect Tickets, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
You spend your free time battling other heroes and villains in Arena matches earning you the Duelist Day Job. Logging out in an Arena will earn you a bonus to your maximum Endurance, when you log back in, for a short time.
| Monitor Duty|
Your time spent protecting your Supergroup's base has earned you the Monitor Duty Day Job. Logging out in your Supergroup base will earn you a Prestige bonus, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
| Law Enforcer|
You have worked closely with the Paragon Police Department during your free time earning the Law Enforcer Day Job. Logging out in a Police Station will earn you an Experience Bonus, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
You have traveled all over Paragon City for various day jobs during your free time earning the Commuter Day Job. Logging out in a Train Station will earn you a speed boost, when you log back in, for a short time.
| Shop Keeper|
You have spent your free time running a shop in Paragon City selling various wares earning you the Shop Keeper Day Job. Logging out in a store will earn you a random enhancement, upon each mission completion, for a short time.
You have spent a great deal of time working in the hospitals of Paragon City during your free time earning the Caregiver Day Job. Logging out in a Hospital will earn you a Regeneration Bonus, when you log back in, for a short time.
Your time spent working with the financial institutions of Paragon City during your free time has earned you the Banker Day Job. Logging out in a Vault will earn you an Influence Bonus, when you log back, in each time you complete a mission for a short time.
| Day Trader|
Your time spent working at Wentworth's has earned you the Day Trader Day Job. Logging out in Wentworth's will grant you a power that will allow you to teleport to an Auction House of your choice, when you log in.
| Dirty Cop|
The Paragon Police Department has severed its ties with you now that you're a villain.
| Fare Jumper|
You miss the monorails of Paragon City, but in the Rogue Isles it would just be too impractical.
| Price Gouger|
You know better than to work retail in the Rogue Isles. Logging out in a store will earn you a random enhancement, upon each mission completion, for a short time.
| Pain Specialist|
Your expertise in surgery and understanding pain has earned you the Pain Specialist Day Job. Logging out in a Hospital will earn you a Regeneration Bonus, when you log back in, for a short time.
Your time spent staging heists on the various financial institutions of the Rogue Isles has earned you the Thief Day Job. Logging out in a Vault will earn you an Infamy Bonus, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
Your time spent supplying the Black Market has earned you the Marketeer Day Job. Logging out near a Black Market will grant you a power that will allow you to teleport to a Black Market of your choice, when you log back in.
- Arena Store
- BiotechniX (mutation store)
- Deimos Innovations (science store)
- Exarch Industries (technology store)
- Freedom Corps Special Forces (training store)
- Future Dynamics (natural store)
- Pandora's Box (magic store)
- The Paragon City Monorail has a station here.
- There are gates along the walls of the zone that lead to Dark Astoria, Founders' Falls, and Skyway City.
- There is a ferry to take heroes to Peregrine Island and a tramp freighter to take them to Striga Isle.
- A door to Pocket D is located in the New Thebes neighborhood.
- The Talos Island Beacon location is (895, 160, 6895), which is the west side of main island, on the ridge just north of where the highway hits land.
- Banished Pantheon can be found around the entrance to Dark Astoria and along the Argo Highway after dark. This includes the Banished Pantheon Spirit Masks required for the Banisher badge.
- VidiotMaps Interactive Map of Talos Island