Issue 21, Convergence, was a major revision to City of Heroes and City of Villains. The title references the Praetorian Earth and Primal Earth heroes and villains coming together to assist First Ward, the new co-op Galaxy City tutorial, and the newest co-op Incarnate Trial, The Underground Trial.
This article summarizes some of the major features in Issue 21. For more complete details, see the release date's patch notes.
- Closed Beta testing on the Training Room for Issue 21 started on June 6, 2011.
- On August 9, 2011, the Training Room was opened up for Issue 21 Open Beta.
- Issue 21 was released to the Live Servers on September 13, 2011 for the VIP Headstart.
- Issue 21 was released to the Live Servers on September 27, 2011 for the public, including new free players.
- A new zone called First Ward which will be a co-op zone 'gripped in mystical conflict'.
- New Underground Incarnate Trial
- New low-level raid -- Death From Below.
- Time Manipulation power set as primary for Defender and secondary for Controllers, Corrupters, and Masterminds.
- Beam Rifle power set as primary for Blasters and Corruptors and secondary for Defenders (must be unlocked by Paragon Points).
- IDF and Defense costume sets.
- Updated character creator user interface.
- A new co-op tutorial in Galaxy City, which will be turned into a destroyed zone permanently. An echo of Galaxy City can be accessed through Ouroboros.
- A visual revamp of Atlas Park, and new mission content for both Atlas Park and Mercy Island.
- A new low level co-op Sewer Trial.
- New tutorial contacts that can be unlocked from Level 1 through Level 19.
- New powers added to Leaping, Flight, Speed, and Teleportation.
- Circle of Thorns visual revamp.
- Power Set Proliferation *
- Main Article: Power Set Proliferation
|Blaster||Dark Blast||Darkness Manipulation|
|Defender||Thermal Radiation||Fire Blast|
|Scrapper||War Mace, Battle Axe||Energy Aura|
|Tanker||Super Reflexes||Martial Arts|
Quality of Life Improvements
- Ancillary Power Pools and Patron Power Pools will unlock at Level 35 instead of Level 41. Villains will be able to get the Patron Story Arcs starting at Level 35.
- Tailors have been added to Atlas Park and Mercy Island.
- Characters can also alter their costumes at Trainers.
- Ouroboros can be accessed at Level 14 instead of Level 25.
- Capes and Auras can be unlocked through the Paragon Market.
- Travel powers can now be unlocked at Level 4. 4th-tier travel pool powers can now be unlocked at Level 14.
- The Circle of Thorns faction has received a complete costume make-over.
- The Veteran Rewards program has been replaced by the Paragon Rewards Program. Players will have more control over the perks offered by the system.
- A new server, Exalted, which is only accessible to VIP Players.
Starting with Issue 21, City of Heroes will be known as City of Heroes Freedom and change from a Pay-to-Play system to a hybrid system. Current City of Heroes subscribers will continue as VIP Players, and may accrue 400 Paragon Points per month starting on their first billing cycle after July 1, 2011. At the launch of City of Heroes Freedom, you will be able to use Paragon Points to purchase new costumes, Power Sets, and hundreds of new items from the in-game Paragon Market. The new Paragon Rewards Program also rewards all levels of loyal players with new bonus content that you select, including exclusive rewards for VIP players.
- Looking back on busy times for City of Heroes with the development staff
- Official announcement
- San Diego Comic Con 2011 presentation at Prezi.com