Issue 9, titled Breakthrough, was a major revision to City of Heroes and City of Villains released on Tuesday, May 1, 2007. The title is said to refer to invention "Breakthroughs", Hami breaking through into a new villain zone, and the heroes breaking through into the Rogue Isles via the new Statesman's Task Force.
This article summarizes some of the major features in Issue 9. For more complete details, see the release date's patch notes.
- Closed Beta testing on the Training Room for Issue 9 started on March 6, 2007. This was the first time a closed beta was used.
- On April 3, 2007, the Training Room was opened up for Issue 9 Open Beta.
- Issue 9 was released to the Live Servers on May 1, 2007.
Statesman's Task Force
New Hamidon Encounter
The Hamidon encounter itself was overhauled, requiring new tactics for Hami Raids. According to Positron, these changes were make to result in "Smaller raids, better tactics, and less potential for griefing". To prevent farming (due to the smaller team size needed), rewards from the raid are limited to once per 24 hour period. Defeating Hami also now results in a reward selection dialog, with a Rare Recipe as an alternative to the HO.
The Invention System was introduced, allowing players to craft enhancements, costume pieces, and temporary powers using salvage and recipes found while on patrol. It has also been stated that the long-rumored "Legacy System", which would have allowed for additional improvements of level 50 characters, was wrapped into the Invention System. 
Quality of Life Improvements
- The influence/infamy transfer amount was raised from its previous cap of 99,999.
- Enhancement stores were added in Kings Row.
- The alternate flight poses were returned as a series of emotes that can only be used while flying.
- Enhancements were given detailed story-driven descriptions, For example, the Magic Origin SO for Hold Duration was given a description where Hermes forces the target to "mentally fold a road map correctly." Other enhancements have been given similar descriptions.
- Main Article: Issue 9 Badges
Issue 9 added a total of 74 badges: 72 badges for heroes, 70 Badges for villains. (This does not count the 8 Veteran Reward Badges). Most are earned by crafting under the Invention System. The rest are earned by selling at consignment houses and by participating in the Statesman Task Force.
- Official Feature Overview
- Invention System Overview
- Dev Diary: Inventing Wings
- Dev Diary: Redesigning the "Hamidon"
- Dev Diary: Statesman's Task Force