Hero City Zone (25-34)
|TF Contacts:||Katie Hannon|
|Events:||Croatoa War, Eochai, Jack in Irons, Sally|
|Exploration Badges:||Grim Wanderer, Spiritual, Ensorcelled, Barrier Holder, Sally Sightseer, Jack's Wrath, Waylon's Observer, Midnighter's Perseverance|
|Plaques:||Alumnus II, III, IV, V|
|Day Jobs:||Commuter, Caregiver, Professor, Monitor Duty|
|Enemies:||Cabal, Fir Bolg, Ghosts, Red Caps, Tuatha de Dannan|
|Connecting Zones:||Brickstown, Founders' Falls, Independence Port, Midnighter Club Skyway City, Steel Canyon, Talos Island|
|Transits:||Paragon City Monorail|
|Croatoa at VidiotMaps.com|
Croatoa. It's a name that conjures up images both mysterious and fantastical. Toward the Autumnal Equinox, strange creatures began showing up in this popular resort town just outside Paragon City. Salamanca had been a very popular vacation point for more than a year, but the invasion of monsters has put an end to the tourist trade. The Paragon City Monorail still takes passengers here, even though the town is filled to the brim with monsters, and the surrounding waterway and forested area are infested with all manner of ghouls and ghosts. The legendary Salamanca lake monster, dubbed "Sally," has also been spotted since then. Witches, goblins, pumpkinheads, and even members of the Devouring Earth can be found here. The dank forests crawl with spooky threats, including the pumpkin king Eochai and the vicious Jack in Irons.
This resort is no vacation, but will provide many challenging fights for able-bodied heroes.
Enemy groups in Croatoa are actually enemies of each other as well. For example, if a Tuatha de Dannan runs across a member of The Cabal, they will start attacking each other. Any damage caused by enemies will leech experience from a defeat.
Task Force Contacts
- Periodically, the Croatoa War will break out in The Grim Vale. After several waves of Fir Bolg, Cabal, Tuatha de Dannan, and Red Caps, the giant monsters Eochai and Jack in Irons will spawn to fight each other.
- Eochai will also spawn periodically around the southern border of the map, while Jack in Irons will appear on the stone throne in the south east corner, or wander the hills in the north east corner.
- Everyone's favourite "myth", Sally, spawns at one of multiple areas in the central lake area. She will then move throughout the lake. Note: It takes two separate defeats to earn the accompanying Believer Badge.
- Salamanca (Yellow - Level 25-27) (Music)
- The Broken Teeth (Orange - Level 29-31) (Music)
- The Grim Vale (Red - Level 31-34) (Music)
- The Misty Wood (Orange - Level 27-29) (Music)
- New Connaught (Orange - Level 26-28) (Music)
- Sunset Ridge (Orange - Level 29-31) (Music)
| Grim Wanderer|
This deadly valley is witness to some of the most brutal battles in all of Croatoa.
It may be in dangerous territory, but this lake, frequented by the Cabal's strange sprites, is one of the most beautiful sights near Salamanca.
The Cabal have developed an attachment to this old, gnarled tree. Some heroes even say they are conducting dark experiments beneath its roots.
| Barrier Holder|
Croatoa's own little Stonehenge has been the site of several battles against the supernatural powers who seek to consume this small town. Each attack has been foiled, though nearby residents still can't help but look at this site with some uneasiness.
| Sally Sightseer|
Students from Croatoa University frequent this beach when it isn't being used as a battleground by the Tuatha and Cabal. Armed with video cameras, the students are determined to get a good look at the mythical Sally. The pictures taken of Sally here have been used in many 'Save Sally!' posters.
| Jack's Wrath|
This path of destruction was made by Jack in Irons, who stormed all the way here from his throne deep in the forests of Croatoa. The witches of the Cabal were barely able to push Jack back, but not before he destroyed much of their territory.
| Waylon's Observer|
Waylon McCrane, an infamous adventurer in Croatoa, lives in this home. Mayor Bower has asked Waylon to stay within the town limits due to the Fir Bolg, but Waylon insists that, 'no pumpkin-headed monster will tell ME where to live!'
| Midnighter's Perseverance|
This bridge is the site where Mayor Bower and Buck Salinger last met; Bower informed Salinger that his trek into Red Cap territory was a suicide mission. Salinger ignored the warning and continued forward, insisting that his skills as a Midnighter would prevail. So far, Salinger's luck - and survival skills - haven't failed him.
- Four Alumnus Badge monuments
Hero: Your studies at the Universities of Paragon City during your free time has earned you the Professor Day Job. Logging out in a University will earn you a random piece of Tech Salvage, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
Villain: Your studies at the universites of the Rogue Isles during your free time has earned you the Professor Day Job. Logging out in a University will earn you a random piece of Tech Salvage, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
| Monitor Duty|
Your time spent protecting your Supergroup's base has earned you the Monitor Duty Day Job. Logging out in your Supergroup base will earn you a Prestige bonus, when you log back in, each time you complete a mission for a short time.
You have traveled all over Paragon City for various day jobs during your free time earning the Commuter Day Job. Logging out in a Train Station will earn you a speed boost, when you log back in, for a short time.
You have spent a great deal of time working in the hospitals of Paragon City during your free time earning the Caregiver Day Job. Logging out in a Hospital will earn you a Regeneration Bonus, when you log back in, for a short time.
| Fare Jumper|
You miss the monorails of Paragon City, but in the Rogue Isles it would just be too impractical.
| Pain Specialist|
Your expertise in surgery and understanding pain has earned you the Pain Specialist Day Job. Logging out in a Hospital will earn you a Regeneration Bonus, when you log back in, for a short time.
- Croatoa is only reachable via the Paragon City Monorail.
- The Croatoa Beacon location is (161.5, -32, -844), just west of War Witch.
- Access to the Midnighter Club is available through the University.
- The Tuatha de Dannan villain group name is misspelled in the targeting window; it is spelled "Tuatha de Dannon." Everywhere else in the game and in the documentation, however, it is spelled Tuatha de Dannan.
- This zone was created as part of the release of Issue 5 on August 31, 2005.
- With its gothic architecture and small town "feel", Salamanca is clearly an homage to spooky Victorian-era New England towns like Salem, Massachusetts and the fictional Sleepy Hollow. It also draws inspiration from the works of H.P. Lovecraft, with Salamanca playing the part of Arkham Village and Paragon University taking the role of Miskatonic University.
- The real-life origin of the word "Croatoa," particularly as used as the name of the zone, is from the story of the disappearance of the first Roanoake settlement in America, in which the only clue to the disappearance of the colonists was the word "Croatoan" carved into a tree at the former site of the settlement. Exactly what happened to the colonists is still a mystery.
- VidiotMaps Interactive Map of Croatoa