Power Set Proliferation
Power Set Proliferation refers to taking powers available to one archetype and adapting them for use on another archetype. In some cases, such as the Blast sets for Blasters, Corruptors and Defenders, power sets can be copied with minimal changes. In other cases, like the Assault sets for Dominators, powers from multiple existing power sets may be combined to create a brand new set. Occasionally, entirely new powers are created for the proliferation.
According to the lore, Doctor Brainstorm is responsible for causing Power Set Proliferation, having created a device dubbed the Resonance Manipulator which somehow altered the energy strands connecting heroes and villains to their powers.
The first round of Power Set Proliferation took effect with the release of Issue 12: Midnight Hour. The following is a list of power sets proliferated in that release:
|Blaster||Psychic Blast||Mental Manipulation||Brute||Battle Axe · War Mace||Super Reflexes|
|Controller||Plant Control||Thermal Radiation||Corruptor||Electrical Blast||Storm Summoning|
|Defender||Cold Domination||Ice Blast||Dominator||Earth Control||Electricity Assault|
|Scrapper||Fiery Melee||Fiery Aura||Mastermind||[none]||Storm Summoning|
|Tanker||Dark Armor||Dark Melee||Stalker||Electric Melee||Electric Armor|
- Mental Manipulation was a combination of Psychic Blast and Psionic Assault. World of Confusion was created during this proliferation.
- Electricity Assault was a combination of Electrical Blast and Electric Melee.
- The Stalker version of Electric Armor substituted Hide for Lightning Field.
The second round of Power Set Proliferation took effect with the release of Issue 16: Power Spectrum. The following is a list of power sets proliferated in that release:
|Controller||[none]||Cold Domination||Corruptor||Archery||Trick Arrow|
|Defender||Traps||Assault Rifle||Dominator||[none]||Earth Assault|
|Scrapper||Electric Melee||Electric Armor||Mastermind||[none]||Thermal Radiation|
|Tanker||Electric Armor||Electric Melee||Stalker||Broad Sword||[none]|
- Earth Assault was a combination of Stone Melee and Stone Mastery attacks. Stone Spears was created during this proliferation.
The third round of Power Set Proliferation took effect with the release of Issue 21: Convergence. The following is a list of power sets proliferated in that release:
|Blaster||Dark Blast||Darkness Manipulation||Brute||Katana · Broad Sword||Regeneration|
|Defender||Thermal Radiation||Fire Blast||Dominator||[none]||[none]|
|Scrapper||Battle Axe · War Mace||Energy Aura||Mastermind||[none]||Sonic Resonance|
|Tanker||Super Reflexes||Martial Arts||Stalker||[none]||Ice Armor|
- Darkness Manipulation was a combination of Dark Melee, Dark Miasma, and Dark Blast.
- All versions of Energy Aura and Poison received significant improvements when they were proliferated.
- The Stalker version of Ice Armor substituted Hide for Icicles and Icy Bastion (a Godmode power) for Hibernate. Additionally, the PBAoE Slow effect of Chilling Embrace is suppressed while the stalker is in the Hidden state.
The following is a list of power sets that are not likely to be proliferated to certain archetypes in the future:
- Along with Ice Armor, this set was available during the City of Villains beta testing and was removed because the set's Foe: -Recharge was counterproductive to the Brute's Inherent Power, Fury.
- This set was specifically not made available to Stalkers when it was introduced. The rationale was never given, but it presumably has to do with the ally-centric powers conceptually contrasting the Stalker's gameplay mechanics.
- Corruptor, Mastermind
- The developers have explicitly stated that Empathy will not get proliferated to villains; Pain Domination was introduced in its place.
- Controller, Defender
- Since villains will not be receiving Empathy, it's unlikely that heroes would receive Pain Domination.