Loyalty Programs awarded players for keeping their accounts active over a certain time frame. These typically included a badge, plus various other goodies.
The first Loyalty Program, Loyal Through Thick and Thin, was announced on July 29, 2009. A reminder about the program was announced on November 5, 2009. The loyalty badges were awarded on November 19, 2009.
A second Loyalty Program was announced on January 17, 2011, called Seven Years of Super.
The third Loyalty Program was announced on November 21, 2011, called Salute to Statesman.
Loyal Through Thick and Thin
- August 2009 - November 2009
Heroes strive to achieve the best within themselves through loyalty and determination. Villains use fear to instill it in their comrades. Wherever your allegiance lies, we want to reward you and thank you for your devotion. To that end, we are pleased to introduce the following program.
Rewards for Active Accounts
All City of Heroes and City of Villains players who maintain an active account for the time period beginning August 15, 2009 and ending November 15, 2009, received a set of special rewards for their loyalty to Paragon City and The Rogue Isles:
- Closed Beta access* for City of Heroes Going Rogue
- Exclusive loyalty badges: "Vigilant" for Heroes and "Determined" for Villains
* Going Rogue Closed Beta Access will be granted using a three-tier system:
- Tier One: City of Heroes Veterans with 60+ months of paid time.
- Tier Two: Loyalty Program players
- Tier Three: Players who Pre-Order Going Rogue (Preorder details to be announced at a later date)
Bonus Subscription Time
Additionally, we are pleased to introduce a limited time Loyalty Plan Subscription Offer. Back by popular demand, this is the same plan that we introduced last year with our Holiday promotion. When you purchase game account time between now and November 15, 2009, you will receive additional rewards:
- Sign up for 6 months, get a 7th month free.
- Sign up for 12 months, get a 13th and 14th month free.
Either one of these can be "stacked" (added) one time on top of your current subscription plan. To take advantage of this offer log in to your NCsoft Account and you will see the special offer from your City of Heroes game account page.
Seven Years of Super
- February 2011 - April 2011
City of Heroes is about to celebrate its 7th year of super-powered adventures, and it wouldn’t have been possible without the support and loyalty of our players. So this year we’re offering a special bonus to our current customers. All City of Heroes players who maintain an active, uninterrupted account for the time period beginning February 1st, 2011 (12:01 a.m. EST / 5:01 a.m. GMT) and ending April 18th, 2011 (11:59 p.m. EST / 4:59 a.m. GMT) will receive a set of special rewards for their loyalty to Paragon City, the Rogue Isles, or Praetoria.
Rewards for Active Accounts
The Constant, a new badge and title that highlights your dedications and unswerving determination.
Seven Stars, a new chest emblem that will remind everyone of your experience as a Hero or Villain.
Four new Emotes that you can use to brag about your Alignment in style: HeroLoyal, VillainLoyal, VigilanteLoyal and RogueLoyal. All four emotes are available to all characters regardless of Alignment.
Salute to Statesman
- December 2011 - March 2012
If a VIP subscription is maintained continuously from December 1, 2011, to March 31, 2012, that account will receive the following items as a reward.
Rewards for Continuous VIP Subscription
The following items was awarded on 18 April 2012. They will apply to all existing and newly created characters on that account.
- Tempered Through Fire Badge, a new account-wide accolade badge.
- The Helm of Zeus and the Helm of Tartarus. Two new helmets, inspired by Statesman and Lord Recluse.
- Statesman, a Chest Emblem found under: Chest Detail > Symbols > Statesman (found alphabetically). Note that the marketing material had the name of this emblem incorrect when it said: Paragon, a new Chest Emblem that all Heroes or Villains can wear proudly.
- The Inner Will costume change emote. Tap into primal forces to change into a new costume. Slash command is: /cce # CCInnerWill
- A non-combat companion pet: Image of the Well Pet
- The Battle Fury Aura. Your character will appear to be channeling awesome cosmic powers.
Loyalty Programs were typically introduced around the release of other major MMORPGs. No official confirmation was ever given for this reason, but common wisdom held that their purpose was to give current subscribers an incentive to stay subscribed to City of Heroes rather than switch to another game. Competing games that were released around the same time as these loyalty programs were:
- Champions Online - September 1, 2009 (Loyal Through Thick and Thin)
- DC Universe Online - January 11, 2011 (Seven Years of Super)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic - December 20, 2011 (Salute to Statesman)