Con System is short for Consideration System. It is a color coded way to 'consider' how difficult it will be to defeat a particular target.
The Con System changes the color of your target's name based on its relative level as well as its rank. This is called the Con color; some may refer it as Con rank, or Con level.
In addition to the colors, there are in some cases small arrowheads (triangles) that appear below the target's name. These are to assist players who may have trouble distinguishing the colors.
The Con Color is determined by subtracting the critter's level from your combat level and adding their rank.
- For critters with no rank (such as pets), you can use the con color to determine their rank. Take their con color's numerical value and add the difference in your levels.
|(+2)||Elite Boss (should be higher)|
|(+5)||Archvillains, Heroes and Monsters (instanced)|
|(+100)||Giant Monsters (except Sally) and Monsters (non-instanced)|
|Character combat level||32|
|Boss NPC level||28|
|Con color||-2 (Green)|
Quick Reference Conning Chart
|<-8||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Purple|
|-8||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Light Gray||Purple|
|-7||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Green||Purple|
|-6||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Blue||Purple|
|-5||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Light Gray||White||Purple|
|-4||Dark Gray||Dark Gray||Light Gray||Green||Yellow||Purple|
|-3||Dark Gray||Light Gray||Green||Blue||Orange||Purple|
- (Giant) Monsters will always con purple to everyone no matter what level they are. This includes Monsters that are NOT spawned inside of instanced missions. All Devouring Earth Monsters in The Hive, The Abyss, Monster Island and Peregrine Island con purple to all characters.
- An exception to this is Sally, whose level ranges from 27 to 30.
- There are 2 shades of gray for targets conning -3 and -4. However, the cutoff for rewards is between -4 and -5. You do not earn XP, Inf, or drops from defeated foes 5 or more levels below you.
- Most critters that are summoned by another critter will often con one additional level above what their rank is. Examples of this include Rikti units summoned through their portals and Banished Pantheon summoned by their Shaman lieutenants. This is supposedly help to distinguish between regular spawn and summoned critters.
- All pet entities will con 1 above an even level player in a similar fashion that other summoned entities do mentioned in the point above.
- With the release of Issue 10, the individual Rikti spawned from Rikti World Invasion event portals are level-less. They always con at even level to the player, with modification for rank being the only difference - for example, a Guardian (minion) will con white, while a Headman Gunman (lieutenant) will con yellow (+1 level for rank) and a Vicious Rikti Monkey (underling) will con blue (-1 level for rank).