Damage is a value, in Hit Points, that directly reduces the Hit Point total of a target. If the target is reduced to zero, the target is defeated. Most damage can be decreased via resistance self-affecting powers, outside buffs, or inspirations.
- Blunt force attacks. Typified by Brawl and other bludgeoning attacks.
- Examples: Super Strength, War Mace
- Sharp force attacks. Typified by many weapon based attacks using blades and bullets.
- Examples: Broad Sword, Archery
- An attack employing radical increase of temperature. Often associated with damage-over-time effects.
- Examples: Fire Blast, Fire Control
- An attack employing radical decrease in temperature. Often associated with slowing of attack and/or movement rate.
- Examples: Icy Assault, Water Blast
- An attack utilizing raw energy or an energy transfer. Often coupled with Smashing damage and associated with Knockback/Knockdown.
- Examples: Kinetic Melee, Luminous Blast
Negative Energy Damage
- An attack of anti-energy, typically drawn from the netherworld by "dark" powers. Often associated with reduced Accuracy.
- Examples: Dark Assault, Umbral Blast
- An attack upon the mind. When protection from attacks is not comprehensive, protection from this damage type is typically missing. It is often associated with reduction in Recharge.
- Examples: Psychic Blast, Mental Manipulation
- Poisonous attacks. The nature of toxins may be either biological or chemical. Toxic damage is unique in the respect that no power currently provides defense to it, so mitigation for toxic attacks is based on resistance to it or defense versus the melee/ranged/AoE nature of the attack. It is often coupled with lethal damage and associated with damage-over-time effects.
- Examples: Spines, Bane Spider Soldier
- Unique to Hamidon. These attacks can not be evaded and may only be resisted through use of Essence of the Earth inspirations.
- Examples: Hamidon, Mitochondria
- Unique to the Crystal Titan. These attacks can only be resisted through the use of Ambrosia inspirations.
- This is the special Radiation damage dealt by the Terra Volta Reactor Core. It can only be resisted by the Radiation Shield buff.
The Damage Scale (also referred to as damage scalar) is a form of comparing attacks across archetypes (usually at level 50). There is no actual game mechanic that makes use of the damage scales, but they are used in the assignment of damage values for powers. Damage scales are expressed as multipliers relative to Blaster melee damage, with Blaster melee being expressed as 1.000. For example, if a Blaster uses a melee attack (1.000) and does 50.0 damage, a Brute using the same melee attack (0.750) would do 37.5 (50.0 * 0.750) damage.
- While the melee archetypes are assigned ranged damage scales, these scales are never used. Ranged attacks on melee archetypes use the melee damage scale.
- Temporary Powers use normalized scales that result in the same damage output regardless of which archetype is using them.
Damage Scale by Archetype
The following table shows the melee and ranged damage scales for each archetype.
Buffs and Debuffs
Maximum total Damage for players depends on Archetype and (usually) level.
|210% at level 1
500% at level 21+
|all others||200% at level 1
400% at level 21+
- Attacks do 100% damage to start with (i.e. base, or 1x normal), not 0%. The amount of Damage bonus needed to reach the cap is 100% less than the cap itself.
- Enhancements count as damage buffs. If a character has +95% in damage enhancements, then, considering point number one, the character has 195% total damage buff.
- These maximums apply only to effects that increase the amount of damage an attack delivers. Reductions to an enemy's Resistances can cause that enemy to suffer damage beyond these maximums. So can effects that cause attacks to deliver damage more than once, such as Containment, Scourge, and Critical Hit.
- The Brute damage cap is set significantly higher than the other Archetypes to accomadate the mechanics of the Fury inherent power, which functions by applying a Damage buff that scales proportionally with the Brute's Fury level.
Players and critters have a minimum damage of 10%.
- Formerly used by Void Hunters and Quantum-class enemies. These attacks dealt a great deal of un-resistible damage to Kheldians. It was replaced with normal Negative Energy Damage in the February 12, 2008 patch.